Friday, October 16, 2009

GIVE THANKS....GIVE THANKS...

Didn't write about thanksgiving day (although had a good one with my family) as then the rest of the week was not too thanksgiving-ish and I just got too depressed-ish.  Earlier in the week, a cousin in the family lost her unborn baby and then the funeral day was the 2nd anniversary of my oldest brother's passing (see Oct 9th posting.)  One thing happened one after another, because when it rains it pours, like VANCOUVER.  But, I was inspired (as I often am) with my friend Nathan's positive encouragement and always so so so beautifully poetic Facebook status'.  I am thankful of so many things, I really am, so here it goes.

Thankful for a free 13lb turkey from my mom's friend.  It was my first turkey I ever cooked and turned out just awesome; even took a photo of it 'cuz I am such a geek that way.  Fed all 11 of us and then leftovers for most of the week and the best ever huge pot of soup that I made from it.  Sick of it now, but it is food and for that I am grateful.  (Hmmm, wish the pumpkin pie would have lasted that long; wonder who finished it off the moment the last guest left, along with the rest of the tub of cool whip?  Well, at least I was good with my calories all week...)

Thankful for family that drives me crazy sometimes or a lot of the time, but when I was far away and helpless to not be able to get to them when they needed me, that was so much worse.  At least for now I am with family here that has loved me for 32 years.

I am thankful for the awesome heater in my old bedroom and at least a room to myself.  Even though the furnace here does not work at all and needs to somehow be replaced soon and my heater stopped working the other night, I am thankful that it is working again.  And my back is oh so thankful for that.  And found an old sweater and jacket of mine that still fits as I only came prepared for summer really and barely fall.

I am thankful for my mother, even with all her health issues that she's always had to live with and deal with for 32 years.  I teased her a few weeks ago that her swollen eyelid reminded me of a cross between something that someone beat up in a dark alley and Jesus in the Passion of the Christ movie, and she just laughed.  So the other day when she phoned me from the hospital after being in the emergency room(s) for 8 hours and how they gave her nothing for her shooting pain in her head from her bad eyes, she said how she thought of Jesus beaten on the cross and how much of a worse shape he was in.

Yes, I am now thinking of so many funny times that seemed to make the hard times so forgettable and not even worth remembering.

I am thankful for a good buddy of ours that made it possible for me to get out here this time and for all the times I made necessary and urgent trips back and forth from BC to Winnipeg and back to BC again.  In pretty much all those times, I had no idea how I would pay for things, how I would get back, or how I would even pay the rest of the bills for the month.  It was so stressful, but you know, I don't even remember the stress.  I just remember that I made it and lived to tell and it was all worth it.  And for good friends that stick by you through good and bad, because if not, they are not worthy to even be called a friend.

So many times we were on edge and never knew what tommorow would bring, but we made it through it all and now we can encourage and advise others that are going through the same.

From the Message Bible:  James 1: 26-27  "Anyone who sets himself up as "religious" by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world."

So Nathan, keep up being positive, as it does matter and I am passing it on to every one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment