Luke 5: 1-11 ----
While the crowd was pressing in on Jesus and listening to the word of God,
he was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret. He saw two boats there alongside the lake; the fishermen had disembarked and were washing their nets. Getting into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon,he asked him to put out a short distance from the shore. Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat.
After he had finished speaking, he said to Simon,“Put out into deep water and lower your nets for a catch.” Simon said in reply,“Master, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing, but at your command I will lower the nets.” When they had done this, they caught a great number of fish
and their nets were tearing. They signaled to their partners in the other boat
to come to help them and they filled both boats so that the boats were in danger of sinking.
When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at the knees of Jesus and said, “Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.” For astonishment at the catch of fish they had made seized him and all those with him, and likewise James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners of Simon.
Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.” When they brought their boats to the shore,they left everything and followed him.
1. I wish I could have brought Jesus to work with me when I was most tired and stressed and at one word, my mountain of paperwork, applications and invoices would get done pretty darn fast!! But next time, I will try it with God's help and see how fast and easy it goes.
2. Peter thought, "Look, I know they all think you are a holy prophet and you seem good and all but dude, I don't know where you came from and you look like no fisherman, that is for sure. You come from carpenter country, so what do you know about my life and struggles? Not to be rude but I have been doing this since I could walk and I had no sleep last night, no coffee and kinda cranky, me and my buddies here have been trying all night and not even a sardine to show for it. All our equipment is put away and seriously we just want to go home and get an egg mcmuffin 'cuz we are starving....
But...OK, fine if you say so, I will try it again.
3. BAMM!!! Fish galore to fill 2 whole boats, which not only could they feed their families for a really long time, but stock up everyone's freezers, and have even enough to sell at every market they could hit up. Go big or go home would look good on a big billboard ad for Jesus, alongside a snapshot of the 3 grinning fisherman holding up their nets saying, "See Mom!"
4. Large crowd plus Peter and his buddies to witness.
5. That was enough for Peter. I would fall to my knees in shock too if I was in that crowd. At the feet of the God-man to lay bare his soul and say he is not worthy enough and not what Jesus is looking for; look how I have doubted you. Jesus said well, it is not about that, not about your power, just follow me and work for souls and forget the rest.
So he did.